Friday, February 26, 2010

Artie Lange Suicide Try

January 8, 2010 12:17 PM
Artie Lange Suicide Try: Howard Stern Says "Too Much To Bear" After News Artie Lange Stabs Himself

NEW YORK (CBS) As Howard Stern sidekick Artie Lang remains in the hospital after stabbing himself nine times in an apparent suicide attempt, according to the New York Post, Stern has taken to the airwaves defending his friend and bashing the press.


Photo: Radio host Howard Stern.

(AP Photo/Stuart Ramson)


"I'm pissed off at the sh*thead who got paid $10 bucks to talk to Page Six," Stern said of the Post, who first published details of Lang's alleged medical condition.

Stern said that he was actually hoping the news "wouldn't come out" and that the story would "go away."

"I don't know what to think. I'm angry about it. I'm sad about it. I'm all over the place emotionally," Stern said Thursday on his radio show.

"I work with Artie, I love Artie. Everyone has their demons, including myself, but he's wrestling with some serious stuff. When I heard the news it was too much to bear."

The 42-year-old Lange has been absent from Stern's Sirius radio program for a month. On Monday's show, Stern said Lange isn't leaving the program and called him "a tremendous contributor."



Photo: Artie Lange.

(AP)


Lange's publicist confirmed that the radio sidekick was hospitalized. The Post says surgeons were able to save him despite heavy bleeding.

Lange's mother called police Saturday morning after entering his Hoboken, N.J. apartment and found the bloodied comedian, a law enforcement source told the New York paper. "Lange sustained six 'hesitation wounds' and three deep plunges," the paper wrote.

"This is a family matter. I don't know what to do," Stern said. "I don't know what to say...just remember who Artie is and what a wonderful guy he is...he's wrestling with some serious stuff...I only wish him well."

Stern attempted to read the Page Six item, but stopped almost immediately. "I just feel sick about this. I don't even wanna read it," he said.

Lange is a New Jersey native who lives in Hoboken and has battled drug addiction. In September, a New Jersey judge revoked his driving privileges for seven months after he admitted he was under the influence of prescribed sleeping pills in a minor traffic accident.

No comments: